The Torbay Connected project team have been working with the Web Innovation team at Exeter University to develop our Augmented Reality Layar, bringing amazing stories, tales, information and facts to your mobile phone as you walk/navigate your way around the Riviera discovering our rich Heritage, Culture, Geopark, Natural and Built Environment.
What is Augmented Reality?
Augmented Reality can take several forms. The most popular form shows your view of ‘reality’ through your mobile phone’s camera which can be ‘augmented’ with other information supplied by the internet, such as text, images, audio, video and even 3D models. Other forms of augmented reality allow you to use a laptop or desktop computer, where its webcam can recognise items that it see’s and overlay information.
How are we using Augmented Reality?
The Torbay Connected Project is using the Layar application (available for iPhone and Android) to overlay an augmented reality view of the English Riviera with hundreds of
How do I get started?
1. Download the LAYAR app. either by searching for it in the appstore or marketplace on your phone.
2. Click on Local in the Layar app then our layers should be in the list as ‘Heritage and Local History’ ,’Torbay Connected in action’, ‘Significant Buildings and Spaces’, etc. with Torbay Connected as the organisation name, and torbayconnected as a keyword if you search for layers.
3. Once you have found them simply hold your phone up and move it around to begin your journey.
4. Once your phone sees a pin it will appear as a dot which you can open and get directions to.
5. If you add a story or tale to the myplace pins on the site then it will appear on the augmented reality layer for all to see!
What’s the Barcode code pictured on this page?
This is a QR code (Quick Response) you will start to see them appear all over the place very soon, in magazines, on signs and on websites. The code is a uniquely generated barcode which when you point your phone at it takes you to a specific website address. This code will take you to the Layer app you need to see the Augmented Reality pins on your phone. You will need to download a QR reader first, we use inegma.
|« Previous||Next »|